Tuesday, October 28, 2008

seitan & green beans



I'd never tried seitan before this meal, and had a package sitting in my fridge for quite a while before finally taking the plunge with this recipe from Vegan Planet. I'd also never used shallots, and just so happened to have picked up a bag of them.

Everyone should really own this cookbook. Basically, you steam the beans, brown the seitan for about five minutes in olive oil along with the shallots and garlic, and then transfer the seitan to a bowl. Add some sherry to the skillet, then stir in a little dijon and tamari and vegetable stock and let it reduce for about 10 minutes. Add in the seitan and the beans, let it heat a couple minutes, and then serve over rice. Go pick up the book if you want specifics though!

This meal officially made seitan my favorite meat analogue. It has a such a perfect texture, and the flavors in this dish were divine. The next time I have my parents over for dinner, this is what I'm making. I think even my meat-loving father would approve.

No comments: